I’m not sure if this list would be cheaper anywhere else but I went online to Tesco and did my shop and meal plan. I was inspired by brothers green eats old video from I think 3 years ago for 21 meals (a week worth to be exact) for £21 all credit for the idea goes to them!
I am still working on my video for youtube but in the meantime here is my list that I made and the meals that I had. (I was left over with some things such as oats and some other ambient products and even ham!)
My biggest tip is to cook your ham at the beginning of the week, slice it, dice it do whatever and then when you get to 3 days after the cooking of the ham, freeze the cut up ham to use in your meals. Your freezer is your best friend!
Just for reference, I have been buying the lowest bottom brands and the price doesn’t include my spices etc that I have in the cupboard and only have to very rarely replace. (salt, pepper, herbs and spices)
1 kg Oats 75p
1 litre UHT semi-skim milk 55p
small tangy apples 78p
380g mushrooms 82p
nightingale 600g peppers £1.10
courgettes 82p (pack of 3)
1kg bag of onions 85p
1kg gammon (i got smoked) £2.85
20 frozen butchers sausages 91p
1 basic spaghetti 20p
1 basic pasta 29p
6 free range eggs 85p
creamfields reduced fat cheddar £1.79
creamfields parmesan £1.88
1kg basic carrots 59p
3 tins basic tomatoes 84p
romaine lettuce £1
willow farms chicken thighs 750g £1.24
250g lean beef mince £2.19
0% fat natural yogurt (tesco own) 200g 50p
1 small tin of basic baked beans 20p
total at the time of purchase £20.98
Rough meal plan: 1. Grated apple with cinnamon, sweetener, 45g oats, 125ml milk, 125ml water. LUNCH:
2. melt 2 tsp of sugar and water in a pan until it caramelises, chuck in a chopped apple and pour onto baking paper (caramel apple 2 syns) put the apple on top of porridge (45g oats, 125ml milk, 125ml water).
3. 2 sausages (this brand 5 syns for 2) mushrooms, onion, 1 small microwaved chopped potato in 2 egg omelette with cheese.
4. 45g oats, 1 heaped tbsp of yogurt, 125ml of milk, cinnamon and grated apple and sweetener to taste (overnight oats).
5. 45g oats, sweetener, vanilla extract, lemon extract, 125ml milk, 125ml water (new york cheesecake porridge)
6. Crisp up some ham, add half a sliced pepper, spices from the cupboard (chilli salt pepper garlic a dash of cumin) half an onion cooked down, add half a tin of tomatoes and crack in 2 eggs, cover and leave till cooked to liking.
7. 2 eggs, 2 heaped tbsp of yogurt, dash of vanilla and lemon extract, sweetener and baking powder in a bowl use the mix for pancakes. For full recipe check out https://chefwhoslims.com/2017/08/21/syn-free-pancakes/
- Half of one of the romaine lettuces, shredded in a bowl, finely dice 1/4 of an onion and handful of gherkins (I always have some in the cupboard). In a pan fry off 1/4 of the pack of mince with 1/4 of onion finely diced, salt, pepper and a touch of garlic granules or whatever spices take your fancy. While the mince is cooling a little sprinkle over a healthy extra A worth or syns of cheese over the lettuce. In a bowl mix 1 tbsp of the greek yoghurt with a splash of vinegar, finely diced gherkins, salt, pepper, a dash of paprika, onion and garlic granules. Top the salad with the mince and sauce and you have #bigmacinabowl.
2. Heat some cubed ham in a pan until crisp, meanwhile line a bowl mix together a tbsp of yoghurt, garlic granules, Italian herbs, salt and pepper with some water and vinegar to let it down. Add some thinly sliced pepper and onion, grated carrot and a handful or two of cooked pasta and 1xHEA of cheese lay the mix over lettuce and top with the crispy ham.
3. Chunks of ham, cheese, pepper, apple and carrot with some piccalili. (my picky plate, i sometimes have a Ryvita or 2 as my HEB if I have them in the cupboard as they last a long time, I usually have a lunch like this on weigh-in day)
4. courgette, onion, peppers and half tin of tomatoes with herbs of liking through pasta topped with cheese.
5. Bake 2 sausages. Meanwhile, thinly slice an onion and some mushrooms and fry in a pan with salt and pepper until softened. Remove from the pan. Whisk 2 eggs with a dash of water, salt and pepper. Pour in half the egg mixture spreading it around the pan, when it looks like it is set, add half the onion mix and 1 sausage and wrap like you would a burrito. Do the same with the other half of the mixture.
6. Microwave a potato (if you like your jacket potatoes crispy then put it in the oven for 15 minutes after microwaving), meanwhile fry off onion, ham and mushroom, cut open the potato topping with the fried mix and 1xHEA or syns of cheese serving with some side salad.
7. 2Xsausages roasted with peppers and onions, stir through half a tin of tomatoes with smoked paprika, garlic, salt and pepper for a delicious and quick sausage casserole. Don’t forget to add extras like potato, some beans at the back of the cupboard or pasta!
- 2 chicken thighs roasted in the oven with mixed peppers, onions and potatoes, some chilli, garlic and paprika (Spanish chicken) served with carrots.
2. 2 x sausages cooked in the oven with mushroom, diced potato till crisp serve with a fried egg.
3. 1/4 pack of mince cooked with onion, carrot, half tin tomatoes, garlic, italian herbs (these could be: oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme or rosemary, whatever mix you want) salt and pepper with spaghetti and garlic fried courgette. (add 1 tsp butter to a pan* add 1 thinly sliced clove of garlic and toss your corgette chunks through the garlic butter adding salt and pepper, leave to sit so they get a little colour then toss and repeat)
4. Fry 1/2 onion and small carrot till softened, add some cubed ham, salt, pepper, garlic granules, 1 tsp butter, 1 roughly chopped microwaved potato and mash together. Sprinkle over 1xHEA or synned cheese, cover with a lid and leave for the bottom to go crispy. serve with baked beans.
5. Fry up some ham and mushrooms, meanwhile cook some spaghetti. In a bowl mix 30g parmesan with 2 egg yolks (syns or HEA) salt and pepper. use tongs to move the spaghetti to the pan with the ham gently coating the spaghetti in the ham and mushrooms. turnt he heat off and add some of the pasta water to the egg mix before adding to the pasta. Constantly stir the pasta until the sauce thickens (the heat of the pasta will cook the egg, if you are worried turn the heat to low and add some extra pasta water stirring and coating the pasta for a little longer)
6. Cut up some potato and bake in the oven to make chips. Meanwhile, mix the last of the yogurt with a dash of water and dried coriander leaves and garlic. Meanwhile, fry off 1/4 of the pack of mince with onion and peppers, sprinkle with salt and pepper, adding in cumin, garlic granules and paprika. top with HEA or syns of cheese. Put your chips on a plate and tip the cheesy taco mince over the top topping with some finely diced onion.
7. The what have you got dinner!Roast the last 2 chicken thighs, meanwhile fry off any remaining veggies that need using with garlic and italian herbs. Add your chicken thighs and juice along with water to completely cover the chicken and veggies. let simmer for at least half an hour (or slow cook all day) take the chicken out and bring the soup to a boil. Add some pasta and set the timer according to instructions. Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Add it back to the soup and serve.
You are likely to have odd bits of leftovers after this rough plan but you really can eat healthy or healthier than mars bars and crisps on a tight budget! Give it a go!!
Love Emily Chef who slims.