So, I haven’t been feeling 100% so I haven’t wanted to slave over the hob while I have revision and essays to do. This creamy comforting carbonara has a little zing to it and is really easy to double up on the recipe. If you are vegetarian feel free to omit the chicken or use an alternative like quorn chicken chunks or even a firm tofu.
Serves 1 (big portion)
1 handful thinly sliced peppers,
1 small thinly sliced onion,
1 handful thinly sliced mushrooms,
A good handful of cooked, shredded chicken, (I usually have chicken to snack on in the fridge so have some on hand or you could slice a chicken breast and add it to step 1)
1 egg yolk,
1 tbsp of elmlea double light cream alternative (2 syns),
30g fresh parmesan (HEA or you could syn it)
salt, pepper and 2 tsp cajun spice blend ( https://chefwhoslims.com/2017/05/12/cajun-seasoning/ )
- Heat a pasta pot with plenty of salted water on high heat. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over high heat, add low-calorie cooking spray and add your veggies to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook your pasta according to packet instructions minus 2 minutes (as we will be finishing it off in our ‘sauce’).
- When your veggies have some colour, add your chicken and your cajun spice blend stirring to coat the veggies and chicken in the spices.
- In a bowl, mix together the egg yolk, cream and parmesan along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Use tongs to move the pasta to the frying pan adding a small amount of water to help the veggies and spices coat the pasta (turn heat to low or if cooking on an induction hob, off)
- Add a few tablespoons of the pasta water to the egg mixture and stir to help temper (to make sure we don’t scramble to the egg when added to the pasta).
- Add the egg mixture to the pan stirring constantly. Add some of the pasta water to help loosen the mix and to help coat the pasta and veggies in the sauce.
Thats it! Dinner served in the space it takes to cook the pasta. Quick, easy, comforting and delicious.
I hope you give this a go!
Love Emily, Chef who slims x