This is my take on an easy fish pie. I just served this with boiled potatoes and steamed green beans and broccoli and boy did it hit the spot!
serves 4-6 (4 = 2.5, between 6 = 2 syns. If you are counting cheese as syns for 4 = 8 or between 6 = 5.5)
800g white fish (or mixed fish if you wish)
1 tbsp salted butter (6 syns)
1 tbsp plain flour and cornflour (3 syns)
300ml unsweetened almond milk (you can use normal milk if you wish too but it will increase the syns -1.5 syns)
120g grated cheddar cheese (HEA or 24 syns)
1/2 tsp mustard powder
salt and pepper
(preheat your oven to 180C)
- Heat a pan over a low heat and add the butter and flour, whisking for 2-5 minutes.
- While the flour is cooking out, reserve 2-3 tbsp of the milk and mix it with the cornflour, mustard and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Slowly add the milk a little at the time whisking.
- At first, it may not become thick but carry on whisking for 5-10 minutes before pouring in the cornflour slurry and whisking till thick.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in 3/4 of the cheese.
- When the cheese has melted, pour half of the sauce into a baking tray, lay in the fish and top with the rest of the sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
It may seem like there is a lot of steps but this is one of the most delicious and simplest meals that my family just love.
Love Emily, chef who slims x