This spring dish is amazing with fish and chicken and the best thing? Completely syn free and packed full of speed food, great for picnics, snacking, a side dish and you can use whatever fresh spring vegetables you can get your hands on!
1 mug of basmati rice (and 1 mug of vegetable stock from the same mug),
100g asparagus in bitesize pieces (woody bits removed, hold the asparagus at either end and bend, it will snap and discard the end),
100g baby courgettes and bitesize pieces,
100g garden peas (frozen defrosted),
50g baby spinach (roughly chopped),
1 grated garlic clove and zest of half a lemon and juice of half a lemon,
1 tbsp each of fresh, finely chopped basil, parsley, chives and dill. (do not try and substitute dry herbs for this recipe)
- add the rice and stock to a pot and boil for 5 minutes, turn the heat off and put a lid on for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium spray generously with low-calorie spray and add the courgette and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, garlic and lemon zest and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes before adding the spinach, peas and lemon juice.
- Stir until the spinach wilts, turn off the heat and stir in the herbs.
- Add the rice to a large bowl and fluff up with a fork before folding through the herby vegetables and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
I just love salmon and watercress with this rice, it just can’t get any better!
Love Emily, The Chef Who Slims. x