This is a very different take on a classic burger with the twist of a cheese and onion toastie! What could go wrong with juicy burger patties, and melting cheese over caramelized onions being encased in a crispy bread hug!
Just remember if you are not using the bread or cheese from your healthy extra allowances that you will need to syn them!
2 slices bread from 400g loaf (i use the weight watchers healthy extra choice as it had more moisture)
40g reduced fat cheddar
150g 5% fat beef mince
1 onion thinly sliced
1/2 tsp mustard
salt and pepper
- Fry the onions in a frying pan until they start to soften.
- Meanwhile, mix the mince with a good pinch of salt and pepper and flatten it into a similar shape as your bread.
- Push the onions aside and place the patty in the pan and leave for a couple of minutes.
- While the patty is cooking sprinkle half your cheese on one of the pieces of bread.
- Flip the patty and spread the mustard on top and put the cooked onions on the slice of bread with the cheese on.
- Put the patty on top of the onions, the rest of the cheese and the other slice of bread and place it in the frying pan covered with a lid for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip it over (it should be lightly crisp) and let the other side crisp, again covered with a lid as we want to melt the cheese.
Remove from the pan, slice and enjoy! such a simple but naughty feeling recipe!
Love Emily, The Chef Who slims x