You need to trust me on this dish! I use to hate cooking with wine but if you do it properly then you will never look back. This feels very rich and indulgent for something that is roughly 1.5 – 2 syns per serving!
400g braising steak/beef (remove visible fat)
250ml red wine (like a Chianti or Rioja between 10-12 % alcohol is 10 syns) + 1 red wine stock pot+ beef stock cube (trust me! I use the ones from tesco as they are syn free)
2 tins plum tomatoes
2 heaped tbsp tomato puree (i use a cheap one, in the polish aisle in a jar, its very cheap but good quality)
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dry rosemary
1 bay leaf
2 grated garlic cloves
1 large onion, 2 large sticks of celery, 2 large carrots finely diced (you can use a food processor!)
salt and pepper to taste
- Sear your beef in a large pan over high heat then put it into the slow cooker.
- Add in your vegetables and a good pinch of salt and pepper and stir fry for 3-5 minutes before adding in your garlic and herbs.
- Pour in your red wine and stir getting any juices off the bottom of the pan.
- Let it reduce until the smell of the wine changes (you will see what I mean) this will take a good 10 minutes and it will reduce by at least half.
- Pour that into your slow cooker with the rest of your ingredients, give it a good stir and let cook over high heat for at least 4 hours.
If you are impatient you could use a large oven proof pan like a dutch oven, sear the beef add the veggies, let the wine reduce in with the beef and veggies then add the rest of your ingredients, cover and put in the oven for 1.5 hours at 180C.
Instant pot/Pressure cooker: Sear the beef on saute mode, set aside and fry the vegetables, again adding the wine and letting it reduce. Add in everything but the tomato puree and pressure cook on high for 20 minutes. Quick release and stir in the tomato puree letting simmer for a couple of minutes.
This is great as a stew, over gnocchi, mashed potato, tossed through pasta or if you let it down and add more veggies is a great winter warmer stew!
Love Emily, The Chef Who Slims x