This is a spicy takeaway favourite but my version has fewer calories without losing any of the flavours. You can add peanuts like the takeaway version if you like but there are quite a few syns in nuts.
Serves 4-6 (5 syns whole dish but please check your brands )
6 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into chunks/slices
1 large onion in chunks
pinch of schezuan peppercorns (can get in the spice aisle in supermarkets)
3 dried chillies WITH seeds
3 slices ginger cut into match sticks
2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
2 stalks green onions thinly sliced
3 tbsp soy sauce and water
1 tbsp white vinegar and honey
1 tsp cornflour
1 sesame oil & 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- mix the chicken with the sesame oil and the bicarbonate of soda.
- Heat a pan till smoking.
- Meanwhile mix the soy sauce, spring onions, water, honey, vinegar and cornflour in a bowl/jug.
- Flip over the chicken and leave for a further few minutes (we want some caramelisation)
- Add in the chillies and peppercorns, ginger, garlic and onion and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn the heat lower and pour in the sauce (give it a mix before adding) and stir-fry coating the chicken in the sauce cooking until it thickens.
The Szechuan peppercorn adds a light numbing heat so if you don’t like that then leave them out!
Between 4 without rice or side = 178 calories.
Between 6 without rice or sides = 120 calories.
Love Emily, The Chef Who Slims x