This may seem a really odd way to make sticky bbq chicken but is well worth the effort. I use zero coke instead of diet as it adds a lemony flavour. You can always make this with fries and salad for valentines day!
1 can zero coke
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 cloves grated garlic
generous pinch salt and pepper
1/2 tsp mustard powder and smoked paprika
generous pinch chilli flakes
Chicken breasts or thighs. (will do 4 large chicken breasts or around 750g of chicken thighs/drumsticks)
- In a pan add everything but the coke and chicken.
- add the coke a little at a time stirring to combine it with the tomato puree.
- Cook the sauce until thick in consistency.
- Leave to cool a little and pour a little of the sauce into the chicken.
- Start cooking the chicken on the bbq basting the chicken in the sauce as you go so you have a nice thick glaze of sauce.
Delicious and easy to make, is great shredded on top of burrito bowls, with fries, slaw and salad, the possibilities are endless and delicious!
I’m not going to bother putting the calories for this one as really the only calories are in the chicken and that will depend on the size of chicken pieces you use and the brand of tomato puree too.
Love Emily, the chef who slims. x