Some people can’t believe the syns that go into mince pies. The pastry is full of butter and flour and mincemeat full of sugar. These mini mince pies will save you a lot of syns!
Filo pastry (1 sheet is about 20g which is 3 syns – we are cutting these into four)
1 egg + 2 tbsp water mixed
Jar of mincemeat (1/2 syn per tsp but check your brand)
juice of 1/2 orange
1/2 tsp mixed spice and cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 200C and line a baking tray with foil or baking paper.
- Cover the filo paper with a warm, damp cloth to stop it from going brittle and drying out.
- Mix the mincemeat with the cinnamon, mixed spice and orange juice. ake one of the sheets of filo and cut into 4.
- Place a tsp of mincemeat in the middle, baste the egg mix around the outside, fold over the sides and roll up.
- Place on the baking tray and repeat until you have used up your mincemeat then baste the top of the mince pies with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden!
The texture of the mix of the soft fruit mincemeat and crisp outer pastry is addictive and at around 1 syn each they are worth it! Just remember to calculate your syns according to your brand of mincemeat and filo pastry you use!
Love Emily x