Sprouts are not my favourite vegetable but i always love how my dad makes them, this is my take on his recipe. (again we make a lot because we love using leftover veg for boxing day morning for bubble and squeak)
serves 6 – 8
1kg of Brussel sprouts
6 rashers smoked bacon (we buy the cheap supermarket brand bacon and snip off the fat with scissors before cooking as it saves a lot of money)
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper
- Prep your sprouts peel the outer leaves if needed and make a little cross on the bottom to help cook evenly, if there are larger sprouts halve them.
- Boil the sprouts until they are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, chop the bacon as small as you can and fry in a pan until crisp.
- Drain the sprouts and leave to steam dry in the drainer.
- At this point add your butter and a pinch of salt and generous pinch of pepper to the bacon butter then stir through the sprouts and leave for a few minutes.
- Stir again then serve or set aside.
You can make these up to 2 days before and just microwave until piping hot to make christmas day a breeze!
Love Emily x