Sounds a little odd but pumpkin is very similar to butternut squash so what better way to use up your Halloween pumpkin than with a family friendly, vegetarian friendly meal!
(please check the syns of your butter as syns vary, this dish is around 1 syn per serving because of the butter but you could leave it out!)
(serves 4-6 people_
400g small diced pumpkin (or butternut squash)
1/2 tsp each dry sage, chilli flakes and thyme
2 big handfuls rocket (baby spinach will do)
1 tbsp salt butter
2 large cloves garlic
100ml vegetable stock
salt, pepper and low-calorie spray
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Coat your pumpkin with the low-calorie spray and a pinch of salt and pepper, spread out onto a tray and bake for 40 minutes or until fork tender and lightly browned.
- Boil your pasta according to packet instructions saving some of the water.
- Meanwhile heat the butter with the garlic, chilli and herbs until fragrant.
- Add half your pumpkin. Gently squash it with the back of a fork or spoon.
- Add the rest of the pumpkin and the vegetable stock then stir in your pasta.
- Add a splash of pasta water to help the sauce adhere to the pasta.
- Turn off the heat and stir through the rocket before serving.
This is delicious served with a sprinkle of parmesan or goats cheese!
Love Emily x