The beauty of this dish is that it is quick, light, easy and you can use leftovers! You can make it completely your own, if you don’t like spring onion or chilli don’t add it, if you don’t feel like using meat don’t use it! There are so many versions but this is the most common style of Singapore noodles you would find if you went to a Chinese stall in singapore, traditionally using a mix of seafood and pork or chicken! (if vegetarian just omit the meat you could always add some Quorn chunks or tofu if you would like)
(I prefer to top my noodles with a fried egg but you could always scramble into the dish if you would like)
1 portion dried, thin rice vermicelli noodles (about 100-150g dry)
1 white onion sliced thinly
1 big handful each shredded white cabbage, bean sprouts, shredded carrot, thinly sliced pork or chicken and prawns
1 tsp grated garlic and ginger
3 spring onions in 1/2 inch chunks
1 heaped tsp mild curry powder
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 eggs and coriander to serve
- Put your rice noodles in a heat proof bowl and cover with hot water for 5 minutes then drain and rinse (or cold water for an hour then drain and rinse). Dry/drain thoroughly and set aside.
- In a frying pan (preferably non-stick) Add some cooking spray and turn the heat to high as it will go and leave till very hot.
- Add your meat and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes then add all of your vegetables and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Add your garlic and ginger and prawns and stir-fry until you can smell the garlic and ginger fragrance.
- Add your 5 spice and curry powder and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add your soy sauce and noodles and stir to coat the noodles in the spices.
- Let the noodles sit for a few minutes, stir then leave to sit again to crisp up a few of the noodles before serving topped with the egg.
This seems like a lot of steps but the only thing that takes the longest is making sure you have everything ready as the cooking process is very quick!
This was requested by one of my followers Ann Condron! Thank you Ann!
Love Emily x