It is gloomy and raining here, today is date night and we are going to see the new kingsman but I am staying on track and made a delicious Mexican style chicken stew and thought you lovely lot would enjoy it!
500g chicken breast (or 1 can green lentils and 1 can red kidney beans drained – you will not need the bicarb if you are making this vegan/veggie friendly)
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika, ground coriander, garlic granules and oregano.
1 tbsp ground cumin + tomato puree
1 tin of tomatoes or carton of passata
300ml veggie or chicken stock
2 large peppers + 1 large onion chopped how you like
2 large carrots peeled and chopped
(chilli flakes to add to your liking I find half a tsp is enough to give you some subtle background or you could leave it out if serving to the kiddies)
3 big handfuls spinach roughly chopped or 6 of the frozen pucks.
- If you are using chicken chop it into bitesize pieces and season with salt and pepper and the bicarb and massage for a minute then set aside and wash hands.
- Fry Off your chicken leaving it for a minute or two until it gets crisp on one side then flip. (if going veggie then skip first 2 steps)
- Add in your vegetables and fry until they start to soften.
- Add in your spices and a good pinch of salt and pepper and stir, cooking until you can smell the spices.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients, stir and leave to simmer.
- (if using meat) sear the chicken and add everything to a slow cooker.
- cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I serve mine with rice or you could serve it as a soup with some bread. (This is also nice with some sweetcorn in)