This family favourite can be made slimming world friendly, I am going to give you the easy way, I would also suggest stewing lean lamb overnight in the slow cooker in the sauce if you don’t want to risk syns by using mince!
*Swap out the lamb for quorn or other syn free vegetarian mince to make it vegetarian friendly!
serves 6-8 (6 people: 2.25 so round up to 2.5 if not using HEA, 8 people 1.68 so round up to 2 syns to be on the safe side)
Sauce: 250g ricotta (measure out HEA or Syns), 1 tbsp cornflour (syns), 250ml vegetable stock, 1 egg, 2 tbsp parmesan (syns), pinch nutmeg.
2 aubergines, sliced 1 cm thick slices lengthways,
Sauce: 500g lamb mince or lamb chunks if using the slow cooker method, 1 tin tomatoes, 1 tsp cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and oregano, 1 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tin tomatoes, 2 cloves grated garlic, 1 onion finely diced, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large pan of water and break up the lamb mince into the water when it is boiling and boil for 10 minutes until it is grey but all the fat is released.
- Meanwhile fry the onion until it starts to soften then add all the herbs and spices until they are toasted and become fragrant, add a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Drain the mince and pour over a kettle of boiling water to get rid of any residue.
- Spray your aubergine slices with low-calorie spray and fry in a pan until the aubergine is very soft.
- Meanwhile, add your mince to the spices and fry until the mince starts to crisp then add your tomatoes and tomato puree and 1/2 tin of water and let cook out for 15-20 minutes.
- While your sauce is cooking mix the stock with cornflour, salt, pepper and nutmeg and whisk over a low heat until the mix thickens.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the ricotta, parmesan and the egg until well combined.
- Put a little of your sauce in a baking dish then put your aubergine and meat sauce and layer until the aubergine and meat is used up.
- Pour over your cheese sauce and bake at 180oC until the top is nicely brown. This can take around 20-40 minutes.
This seems like a lot of steps but this was a dish requested by the lovely Dee Carolan on my facebook page! 🙂
Thank you for reading my blog and following my journey, if you have any requests message me!
Love Emily x