Why am I currently on the ketogenic diet? How will it benefit my body?
I heard of a ketogenic diet through a friend who sells products from the company called pruvit that sell exogenous ketones.
My aim with the ketogenic diet is fat loss. With the ketogenic diet, you limit your carbohydrates and up your monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. The foods you eat help your body to burn your stored fat as energy.
There are other several positive side effects of a low-carb, high-fat diet such as the ketogenic diet.
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes (helps to keep insulin levels at a more stable level)
- Can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome.
- PCOS symptoms often include insulin resistance so similar to the type 2 diabetes due to the low carb intake addresses the insulin resistance problem, therefore stabilising your hormones, easing your PCOS symptoms! (i can vouch for this as it has already changed for me, I am in a lot less pain and i seem to be having a more stable menstruation WHEN I have one!)
- Improved brain function: The brain runs more effectively on ketones than on blood sugar! (again I can vouch for that, you don’t realise it but when you are in ketosis it is almost like a brain fog disappears and you are able to think clearer almost like it is easier to make your brain work, I have found my higher education work a lot easier)
- Decreased pain and lower inflammation: Reducing glucose metabolism influence pain, so where your body is using your stored fat as energy rather than glucose (carbohydrates) the pain and inflammation is reduced.
Further positive impacts include fatty liver disease treatment, epilepsy treatment, migraine treatment, mood stabilisation (good for autism, bipolar and Asperger’s syndrome), Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimers, cancer, M.S (multiple sclerosis ) and acne to name a few!
I am on the ketogenic diet for several of these reasons, there are a lot of case studies on google scholarly, do your own research into any diet before joining the bandwagon.
on a personal aspect, mother nature appeared which is rare for me. a week before mother nature appears I’m usually in a lot of pain, so much so that I am bed bound, I have migraines and I have what I call the menstrual sickness where I sometimes am physically sick. This particular morning I woke up and mother nature was there. I could have cried I was so happy, I didn’t even need painkillers the whole time during mother nature!
Love Emily x