I’m making this specifically for you Rachael, yes, you! I thought you’d enjoy a homemade, ketosis friendly of one of your favourites, Cantonese style sweet and sour chicken. Rachael is the lady helping many people at the moment to not only lose weight but feel better in their selves, so this is my present to her!
serves 4-6 (this recipe divided between 6 people comes to 12.7g net carbs or between 4 is 19 g net carbs)
6 Large chicken thighs in bitesize chunks
2 tbsp cornflour (14g netcarbs)
1 large red and green pepper, in bitesize chunks (18g net carbs)
1 large egg white (0.2 g net carbs)
100ml orange juice (10 g net carbs)
2 tsp sesame oil
Vegetable oil (for frying)
2 tbsp soy sauce (1.6 g net carbs)
1 small white onion in bitesize chunks (7g carbs)
1 large clove grated garlic (3g net carbs)
1 tsp grated ginger (3 g net carbs)
1 tsp tomato puree
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp bicarb + chinese 5 spice
1 tbsp sugar (12.6 g net carbs)
- In a bowl mix together the cornflour (reserving 1 tsp), bicarb, 5 spice, soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, egg white and chicken along with a good pinch of white pepper and set aside while you prepare your veggies.
- If you have a deep fat fryer prepare that with your vegetable oil to 170oC or in a deep pan fill to halfway (no more than halfway as it can be dangerous) and heat to 170 oC, get a plate ready lined with kitchen roll to soak up excess oil.
- When the oil comes to temperature, place in your chicken a piece at a time, fry until crisp and a golden colour then remove to the lined plate (repeat the process until all the chicken is cooked)
- Turn off your oil and set aside, heat a frying pan on high along with a splash of the frying oil and the res of the sesame oil. (while your pan is heating mix together the rest of the soy sauce, cornflour, vinegar, sugar and orange juice along with the tomato puree)
- When hot add your ginger and garlic along with your onion and mixed peppers.
- Stir fry over the highest heat you have until the veggies just start to soften then add in your sauce and stir until it thickens.
- Once the sauce is thick, add in your fried chicken and stir fry for 3-5 minutes until your crispy chicken is coated in your sweet and sour sauce.
It sounds like a lot of work but is totally worth it, and i know that deep frying seems totally wrong for a diet but as i said before a ketosis diet works mainly on your net carbs and the sunflower is totally carb free!
Love Emily x