Pure comfort in a bowl for not even a fraction of the syn cost that a steak and ale pie would cost you! You could always bake up some rolled out pastry or use this in a wholemeal sandwich thin like the popular steak bakes.
4-6 people(around 7 syns in total!!)
500g stewing beef, in bite-size chunks
2 large onions, diced
200g button mushrooms
3 large peeled and chunked carrots
1 large leek finely sliced
1 large clove garlic
1/2 TSP dried rosemary and thyme
2 level dessertspoons of flour (2 syns but. Heck the brand you are using)
500ml beef stock
1x440ml can Guinness (2.8% volume mid strength 5 syns)
Salt and pepper
1. In a pan seared the beef and add to the slow cooker with the carrots.
2. Add the leeks and onions to the beef pan and when cooked down a little add the garlic, herbs and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the flour and cook out for 3-4 minutes before adding half the Guinness.
4. Stir consistently until starting to thicken.
5. Add to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients, add more salt and pepper, stir and cover.
6. Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
If you don’t have a slow cooker sear the beef in an oven proof pan, add the onion and leeks, cook until softened, add the garlic and herbs along with salt and pepper, cook for a few minutes before adding the flour and stir frying. Add half the Guinness and cook, stirring until thickened. Add the rest of the ingredients along with more salt and pepper, cover and put in the oven at 150 Celsius for 6 hours.
Love Emily x