This is the most beautifully elegant curry you will ever try in your life!
This may seem a bit daunting but I cracked this first time! Making the paste from scratch is slightly terrifying but so worth it! I had never had massaman until Nick took me to a lovely Thai restaurant and we decided I had to try and recreate it!
600g meat of your choice
1 carton koko light coconut milk drink*
1 large cinnamon stick
2 star anise
10 cardamom pods
1 tbsp cumin seeds
Stalks of a bunch of coriander
2 tbsp fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime
Sugar or sweetener to taste*
1 tbsp black peppercorns
2 lemongrass stalks (I hate the stuff but you can’t taste it, only want the bottom 2 inches,thinly sliced)
5 garlic cloves peeled
2 inch piece ginger
6 shallots or 2 red onions
1 chilli of your choice (with or without seeds is up to you)
1. Toast the cumin, cardamom, cinnamon and star anise in a dry non stick pan over a high heat for a few minutes or until you can smell them toasting.
2. Remove from the pan and set aside the star anise and cinnamon and remove the inner seeds from the cardamon.
3. Grind the cardamom seeds with the cumin and pepper corns (in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar).
4. Toast the ginger, lemongrass,garlic and onion in a fry pan until you can smell their fragrance.
5. You want to smash these together or use a food processor to blend all together with some of the coconut milk until you produce a fine paste/sauce.
6. Add your meat, cinnamon stick, star anise and sauce to the slow cooker and cook on high for 6 hours or low overnight.
This is beautiful with lamb or beef and I’m yet to try with chicken. (If you are not following slimming world use 2 cans of any full fat coconut milk added to the pan with the spice mix and cooked until the coconut solids melt then add to your slow cooker!)
Please check syn values if following slimming world*
Love Emily x