Sounds too good to be true when you’re in slimming world but this is my recipe for crispy calamari with garlic wasabi dip! (I can’t stress enough how important fresh squid is! Go to your local fish counter as they should have squid this time of year and have them clean it for you, they can even cut into rings for you so you only have to wash it when you get home!)
1 large squid (or 2 small, cut into 2 cm rings and tentacles halved )
1/2 tsp sesame oil*
25 g panko* (alternatively you could use a crushed ryvita but I find it doesn’t give you the same texture but it’s up to you to determine how many syns you want to use! Remember if you use the ryvita to add seasoning to the crumbs as they are a different flavour)
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp extra Light Mayo + the same of fat free yogurt*
1 tsp wasabi paste or grated horseradish
Zest half a lemon
1/2 tsp garlic granules
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1. Wash and dry the squid thoroughly so there is no excess moisture.
2. Coat the squid with the sesame oil and then add to a sandwich bag with the panko.
3. Twist the bag and shake to coat the squid in the crumbs.
4. Place on a baking tray and spray with low cal spray baking at 200 oC for 10 minutes flipping the squid halfway through.
5. While the squid is baking mix the lemon zest, wasabi, garlic, yogurt, Mayo and parsley together with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
I like to serve the squid on a bed of mixed leaves with the sauce and lemon wedges on the side. (Sprinkle the squid with salt and pepper before you serve it)
Love Emily x