This is my version of the campfire stew. I personally don’t like the sausages cooked in the stew so I make that on the hob while I cook my sausages in the oven. This is always a family favourite and depending on what people fancy we either cook it with pasta or potatoes so it can be like a stew or a meaty minestrone!
serves 6 people
3 peppers (of your choice)
2 large onions
3 large carrots
2 sticks celery
2 tins tomatoes
1 large clove garlic
1 tbsp smoked paprika, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
2 sausages of your choice per person (check your syn values)
1 tin of baked beans, and another tin of beans of your choice (or what you have on hand)
- Under the grill on high cook your whole peppers turning every so often to get a slight char on them. Remove and cool.
- Meanwhile chop up your onions and cook on a low heat with a pinch of salt and pepper to cook until softened.
- While your onions are softening chop up your carrot, celery and pepper (I prefer mine in smaller thumbnail size pieces) and add to the pot.
- When your celery softens a little add your garlic and tomato puree and stir until fragrant.
- Add in all of your liquid ingredients including the beans and paprika, give it a stir and let it simmer while you cook your sausages in a pan or pot (about 15 minutes).
Serve in a bowl with the sausages chopped up, like I said this works well with pasta or potatoes or purely on its own although if I don’t have anything with it I tend to add a handful of red lentils while it’s cooking to help thicken it a little!
I hope you guys give this a try and I would love for you to comment and like and let me know if you try my recipe or if there are any tweaks you would personally make!
Love Emily x