There is nothing more comforting in the winter than a big bowl of syn free, hearty soup! Here is my recipe for what I think is a whole meal in one!
3 smoked bacon medallions (cut into small pieces, if you want to keep this veggie just leave this out and add 1 tsp smoked paprika instead)
3 large carrots (peeled and chopped how you want)
1 large white onion (peeled and again chopped how you want)
2 large garlic cloves, salt and pepper and 1 tbsp of my Italian seasoning mix found here: https://chefwhoslims.com/2017/01/04/seasonings/
2 sticks celery (finely diced)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
500ml vegetable stock
500g dark green leaves (kale, spinach or chard works well, roughly chopped stalks removed)
300g any winter squash you can get your hands on (in small chunks)
1 can of cannellini beans
200g small cut pasta (you can often find tiny shells or stars in most supermarkets)
- Fry the bacon until starting to crisp then add the onion, carrot, squash and celery along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook until the onion is translucent then add the garlic and Italian seasoning and stir until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients apart from the pasta and beans and boil until the squash is soft.
- Add in the beans and pasta and simmer until the pasta is cooked (should take 3-5 minutes)
- Taste and add extra salt and pepper if needed and serve!
That is it! If you can get your hands on some basil and parsley to sprinkle over or even a tsp of low fat pesto works well just as an extra flavour boost!
Love Emily x