I made an on the spot low syn carbonara tonight (as long as you use the cheese and milk for your healthy extras as I haven’t worked out the syns but i should imagine its around 4 syns!) and it was the best carbonara i ever had, forget that crappy stuff from a jar or the stuff in Frankie and benny’s this was amazing!
8 rashers smoked bacon medallions or smoked ham (about 300g worth)
250g Sliced chestnut mushrooms
salt and pepper
1 large egg
1 tsp cornflour
200ml skimmed milk
500g pasta (i like linguine or spaghetti but anything works fine!)
- In a large pot, bring water to the boil with a generous pinch of salt.
- meanwhile chop up the bacon/ham and cook over a high heat in a large frying pan.
- while the bacon is doing its thing add the egg, cornflour, cheese, milk and a generous pinch of black pepper and small pinch of salt to a processor and blend (if using grated cheese just whisk in a jug)
- Add the mushrooms to the bacon and stir fry until the mushrooms start to colour.
- When the pasta is nearly cooked use tongs or a pasta scoop to transfer the pasta straight into the pan with the bacon and mushrooms, stir and coat the pasta in the bacon and mushroom goodness.
- turn down the heat and add the sauce and stir to coat the pasta and cook out the cornflour and egg (this should take 5 minutes over a low heat to thicken, coat the pasta and become a smooth sauce).
I hope you guys give this a try.
Love Emily x