Maybe not quite so traditional as this is slimming world friendly after all, but this is delicious, easy, family friendly and relatively low in syn! If you can’t find lingonberry jam for the gravy the best alternative is cranberry sauce or a smooth plum jam. (double check your syns for the jam)
serves 4-6 at 6 syns on total (on average depending on your jam)
Meatballs: 3 rashers FAT ON bacon , 1 large onion (finely diced), 500g extra lean beef mince, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and allspice,2 tbsp finely chopped dill , whole egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, Salt and pepper.
Gravy: 500ml beef stock with 1 tsp of added Bovril, 1 tbsp finely diced dill, generous pinch salt and pepper, 1 tbsp cornflour, 1 tbsp lingonberry jam (i used cranberry jelly here)
- In a pan fry off the onion till soft with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- When soft add the nutmeg and allspice and mix until fragrant.
- whizz the bacon in a food processor till a paste is formed.
- Mix together the egg,bacon, some more salt and pepper, the baking powder and dill together and add to a bowl with the mince.
- Mix thoroughly and squeeze and mix together thoroughly till the mince is almost a paste. Scoop into tbsp portions, roll into balls and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are refrigerating, in a sauce pot over low heat mix together the stock with the cornflour until it starts to thicken. Once thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, whisk in the jam, dill and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In the same pan you fried the onions in, get it nice and hot and sear the meatballs all over in batches adding them to the gravy as you finish one batch. (keep the gravy simmering on low and cook the meatballs in the gravy for a further 15 minutes)
If you want to freeze the meatballs, bake them in the oven and leave them to cook for 15 minutes. Remove and let them cool before bagging them up and keeping them in the freezer for up to 6 months. Just add them to the sauce from the freezer and cook for 20 minutes or until piping hot.
Love Emily xxx