Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food, but isn’t entirely waist friendly so in comes my macaroni cheese with the base being butternut squash! I personally hate the taste of butternut squash but I love it in this! (i always forget to photograph this dish, as soon as it is served it is gone!)
Serves 6 (3 syns per portion or part HEA)
1 large butternut squash (cut in half and deseeded)
1 onion and garlic clove finely diced
100g reduced fat cheddar cheese + 2 tbsp grated parmesan
200ml vegetable stock.
thyme, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200oC.
- Flesh side up season the butternut squash with salt, pepper and the thyme, flip back over, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and cool.
- Meanwhile fry the onion and garlic with cooking spray.
- Add the onion and garlic to a blender with the butternut squash (peel off the skin), the stock and the cheeses and blend for 5 minutes. (it sounds like a long time but you really need it!)
- cook the pasta for 2 minutes less than needed, drain and add back to the pan with your sauce.
- Turn the heat to low and cook over a low heat until the cheese is melted and coating the pasta.
I hope you guys give this a try as its become a family favourite in a family of meat eaters and it is the only way I can get my younger sister to eat butternut squash!
Love Emily x