What a better comfort food than a nice crispy, perfectly cooked piece of chicken? Savoury, a slight kick and perfect for summer days with salad or cooler autumn/winter months with mash and beans, dress it up anyway you want, this is a favourite of mine! (i know i have a lot of favourites)
Traditionally buttermilk is used but i use low fat natural yogurt it does the trick. Something in the buttermilk/yogurt breaks down the protein in the chicken so it stays nice and moist (excuse that word i know a lot of people hate it but i feel it is the right word)
First we need to make the flavour powder: 2 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp garlic granules, 1 tsp black pepper and salt, 1 tsp dry sage, chilli powder(optional) oregano and basil all mixed together.
700g chicken meat (boneless, can be chunks of chicken breast and/or thighs)
200ml buttermilk or low fat natural yogurt
200g wholemeal flour
- mix 1/4 of the seasoning into the buttermilk and add into a sandwich bag with the chicken.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours.
- mix the rest of the seasoning with the flour then.
- when marinated squeeze a little of the marinade of, coat in flour, then egg then flour again.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake for 40 minutes at 200oC.
Love Emily x