The summer is slowly getting cooler, and to be honest we have a had a few rainy days so i thought i would treat the family to a good old comfort dinner. If red wine is not for your taste just leave the stock pot out. (i use Tesco’s own as you are allowed these on slimming world).
Serves 6-8 people
500g lamb mince (get the leanest you can possibly get, or use lamb chunks),
1 large white onion (all veggies finely diced or blitzed in a processor),
2 large carrots,
2 tbsp tomato puree,
200ml lamb stock,
1 red wine stock pot or a splash of red wine (that you would ideally like to drink),
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp dried thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
500g potatoes. (in 3 cm slices, alternatively you can top with mash)
- Start off by frying of your mince (I do this in a casserole dish as it can go straight into the oven, you can always transfer to a baking dish if you don’t have one)
- When the meat starts to crisp up if there is any fat remove it then add in the onion and carrots and stir fry until the onion starts to soften.
- Add in the garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and tomato puree and stir fry for 3-5 minutes or until the tomato puree cooks out slightly.
- At this point if using red wine add it in and let it evaporate then add your stock, otherwise add your stock and stockpot straight in and stir and simmer until the mixture slightly thickens, remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Preheat your oven to 200oC and layer the sliced potatoes ontop of the mince and bake uncovered for 10 minutes, turn the oven down to 150oC and cook for a further 20 minutes.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe, if you want to see pictures of my food they will be up on instagram and facebook. I will post the links to them somewhere on the page.
Love Emily. x